What Is an oncologist?
An oncologist is a doctor that specializes in treating cancer, and each cancer type has a specialist. For instance, geriatric oncologists normally treat patients that are 65 and older, a pediatric oncologist treats children, while a neuro-oncologist treats cancers of the brain, and so on. Oncologists use different types of cancer treatments, including chemotherapy, radiation, surgery, and more.
What should you expect?
Here is what you should expect when you consult an oncologist:
- You are likely to find it hard to come to terms with your cancer diagnosis. Sometimes you may even be in denial, or try to use other means of getting rid of your cancer.
- You may find it emotionally draining, or you react with anger to the news.
- You may find yourself doing things you are not supposed to do. For instance, you may relapse into your drinking habit. Or find it hard to quit smoking.
- You may want to get a second opinion, which is where cancer treatment centers come in handy.
- You may find it hard to talk about cancer with your family.
You can get all the help you need in your area. Just search “oncologist orange county” or wherever you’re located, and make an appointment for yourself.